Take Care of Your Car This Winter!
Here are some tips for keeping your car in good shape and properly fitted out for the winter, so you will be prepared for both the weather and for emergencies!
In addition to putting some antifreeze in your car, be sure to keep your gas tank at least ¼ full to avoid a gas line freeze, be sure to keep an emergency supply kit ready, too, and not just for the winter.
Emergency kit items:
- Jumper cables
- First aid kit
- Car charger for your cell phone
- Properly inflated spare tire, a tire wrench and a tripod jack
- Reflective triangles and a red, orange or yellow cloth to tie to your antenna, mirror or raised trunk to make your vehicle more visible when pulled off the road. An extra bit of caution is to also pack a reflective vest in case you need to walk for help.
- Flashlight - and don’t forget extra batteries! There are also flashlights that work by winding, so you don’t have to worry about batteries
- Snow brush, snow shovel, ice scraper
- Windshield washer fluid
- A blanket
- High energy snack foods and a bottle of water