Roasted Asparagus Salad - Recipe from the 80 Thoreau Restaurant in Concord, MA
Perfect for a holiday side dish or a summer gathering!
1 bunch standard asparagus, stems snapped off
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
4-6 ounces baby arugula
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
2 ounces Parmesan Reggiano
Salt and pepper
- Set broiler to high.
- Take the zest off the lemon with a microplane or other zester and then place in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and the Dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste and whisk together thoroughly. Slowly drizzle in 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil while whisking to emulsify the dressing.
- Reserve 2 stalks of asparagus and place the rest of the bunch on a sheet pan. Coat with the remaining 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook the asparagus under the broiler for 4 minutes.
- While the asparagus is cooking, use a vegetable peeler to shave the reserved 2 stalks into thin ribbons. Put these in a bowl with the arugula and toss with the lemon dressing.
- When the asparagus has cooked, it should be starting to char in a few spots. Place it on a platter or individual salad plates. Top with the arugula salad and sprinkle with the capers.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave long thin strips of Parmesan over the top.
Makes 4 servings.